Virginia recently published a revised Income Tax Withholding Guide for Employers and Web Upload W-2, W-2C, and 1099 Guide. The revised Income Tax Withholding Guide for Employers provides updated guidance for withholding from employees. The Web Upload W-2, W-2C, and 1099 Guide provides electronic filing specifications for W-2, W-2C, and 1099.
Income Tax Withholding Guide for Employers
- iFile changed to Online Services throughout
- Filing withholding threshold changed from quarterly filing if withholding is $300 or less per quarter to “Less than $300 per quarter.” Monthly threshold is therefore $300 to $2,999
- Employer form R-1H: Household Employer Registration Form added
- For semi-weekly filing, form VA-16 is due the last day of the month following the close of the quarterly filing period
- Semi-weekly filers are now subject to a 6% underpayment penalty if at least 90% of the total tax liability has not been paid in 3 days from due date
- Quarterly filing is now less than $100 if the average monthly withholding tax liability
- 1099-NEC added to web upload reporting
- E-forms added
- No update to income tax withholding table
To view updated Guide, click here.
Web Upload W-2, W-2C, and 1099 Guide
- W-2C added to Virginia filing for correcting W-2s
- Various formatting and location updates from addition of the W-2C information
- Various field position updates for 1099-R, 1099-MISC, and 1099-NEC
To view the Guide, click here.