Craft beer drinkers want their beer shipped DtC—legally—and they are willing to pay for it. Those are among the conclusions of the third annual Direct-to-Consumer (DtC) Beer Shipping Report, released this March by Sovos ShipCompliant in partnership with the Brewers Association. The report includes a regulatory review of the DtC beer shipping channel, the latest data on consumer demand and purchase intent, and perspective from the national trade association that represents America’s craft breweries.
Report finds consumer demand has grown
While legal access to direct-to-consumer shipping of beer remains severely curtailed, this year’s survey of regular craft beer drinkers finds that interest in DtC beer shipping is higher than ever. Among the report’s insights:
- Nearly nine out of 10 (88%) of regular craft beer drinkers believe there should be greater legal access to DtC beer shipping. As of March 2023, only 11 states and Washington, D.C. permit it.
- The desire for craft beer shipping is on the rise. In 2022, 54% of regular craft beer drinkers said they would be interested in DtC beer shipping, with 61% saying the same in 2023.
- Craft beer drinkers could help further boost brewery sales – 85% reported they would be likely to try a new beer from a brewery that was able to legally offer DtC shipping. Some 82% would be likely to purchase more frequently from that brewery. Additionally, 71% reported they would be likely to subscribe to a beer club.
- States and craft brewers are missing potential revenue. Just under three-quarters (72%) of regular craft beer drinkers said they would spend $50 or more per month if they could and 51% would spend $100 or more per month.
- Travel may make the heart grow fonder, but it can also be heartbreaking when it comes to DtC beer shipping. The survey found that 81% of regular craft beer drinkers have tried a beer while traveling that they want to buy—but can’t because it’s not available where they live.
The report has implications for states—most of which are missing out on the tax revenues associated with DtC wine shipping—and breweries alike.
Consumer survey methodology
This survey was conducted online within the United States by The Harris Poll on behalf of Sovos ShipCompliant from January 3-5, 2023 among 756 adults ages 21+, among whom 568 drink craft beer at least once per month.
For additional takeaways and analysis into the DtC beer channel, download the 2023 Direct-to-Consumer Beer Shipping Report.