On 10 February 2023, the Italian Tax Authority introduced the possibility for 2.4 million professionals and companies to view and download the pre-filled Annual VAT declaration related to transactions carried out in 2022.
This return must be submitted by 2 May 2023.
Who does this impact?
The service is available for taxpayers defined by the provisions of announcement no. 183994 of 8 July 2021 and announcement no. 9652/2023 of 12 January 2023.
These are taxable residents established in Italy who carry out quarterly VAT payments. Exclusions include those operating in sectors of activity or for which special regimes are provided for VAT purposes, including:
- Sale of used/second-hand goods
- Travel agencies
This service is not available for companies established outside of Italy that are registered for VAT in Italy through direct registration or a fiscal representative.
What does it mean for the taxpayers impacted?
The Italian Tax Authority prepared the pre-filled draft thanks to the following data:
- Pre-filled VAT registers
- Daily fees transmitted electronically
- The Annual VAT return related to 2021 (for example, in case there is a VAT credit carried forward to 2022)
- Other information in the Italian Tax Authority’s database (for example, payments with F24 Forms)
How can I view the declaration?
Taxpayers can access this new functionality by entering their credentials in the ‘Invoices and fees’ (‘Fatture e corrispettivi’) portal of the Italian Tax Authority. They must access the section dedicated to pre-filled VAT documents where the new “Annual VAT return” section is present.
Can the pre-filled return be amended?
Pre-filled returns were made available on 15 February. Since then, taxpayers have been allowed to modify the pre-filled draft, integrate it and proceed with the submission.
Taxpayers using the aforementioned portal will be allowed to:
- Calculate and pay the VAT due concerning the Annual VAT return of 2022 (that is due by 16 March 2023)
- Submit a correction of the Annual VAT Return, before 2 May 2023. (If needed, penalties should not apply)
- Submit a supplementary declaration of the Annual VAT Return, after 3 May 2023. (If required, penalties might apply)
Do I have to perform a cross check with the pre-filled Annual VAT Return?
Taxpayers should cross check the data in the pre-filled Annual VAT Return and the data in their management systems and edit the return accordingly before accepting and submitting.
More Questions? Ask our experts
If you have more questions about the pre-filled Italian annual VAT return or need support with tax compliance in Italy talk to our experts.