When New York first passed its law defining what constitutes a “vendor” subject to collecting sales tax in the 1980’s, the idea of online shopping sounded like science fiction. In retrospect, NY may have effectively enacted the first “economic nexus” law when they drafted their definition of “vendor” to include a person who regularly or […]
Checklist: Choosing the Right VAT Compliance Technology Partner
Increasingly complex VAT regulations are sweeping across Europe, demanding technology adoption to support compliance and reporting-related activities.
Now is the time for businesses to reevaluate their processes and technology to ensure they can meet complex VAT compliance and reporting initiatives, tightly integrate with government tax authorities, support real-time access to transactional data and adapt for the wave of change to come.
Know which VAT compliance and reporting technology solution you should select to automate your process by answering the following questions:
- Will it integrate with your existing back office systems and provide an audit trail?
- Is it capable of supporting VAT and business-to-government reporting requirements in all the countries in which your company operates
- Can it be customized to your current process and streamline end-to-end VAT compliance and reporting processes across departments and countries?
- Is it fully integrated (with data enrichment, workflows, analysis, reconciliation and report generation all in one solution) and user friendly (with regulations translated by regulatory counsels, designed and implemented by IT and tested by tax managers)?
- Does it support data analytics that can help your company develop and protect its growth strategy?
- Does it give you centralized visibility and control over your internal processes and obligations?
- Maintenance & Support
- Can it be automatically updated to ensure compliance and eliminate the significant cost and hassle of major, last-minute implementation projects for every new country mandate?
- Does it eliminate the need for specialized expertise and internal resources for maintenance?
- Does it have all the security certificates in place?
- Does the solution have the ability to generate forms in English and the local languages in the countries where your company operates?
- Does it offer a single point of contact for questions and ongoing support?
- Can it handle the increasingly large quantities of data required to be submitted in a timely and efficient manner?
When evaluating your preferred compliance and reporting solutions, can you answer “yes” to all of these questions? If not, contact Sovos today.
Sovos is the leading software provider for global tax compliance and business-to-government reporting solutions, reducing regulatory burdens and risk for customers while helping them grow through Intelligent Compliance. Learn more about Sovos VAT and e-invoicing solutions.
Download this document in PDF format: Checklist: Choosing the Right VAT Compliance Technology Partner
With recent enforcement measures, the IRS has offered definitive proof that the Affordable Care Act (ACA) is still alive and that the agency plans to strictly enforce ACA reporting. Last spring, the agency issued Letter 226J to Applicable Large Employers (ALEs) that failed to cover 95 percent of employees. ALEs are companies with 50 or […]
UPDATE (Jan. 8): Reporting season is moving forward according to plan. The IRS has announced that it will process tax returns on schedule and without delays. While the agency will clarify its contingency plan in the coming days, organizations should proceed as planned with 1099 reporting and other seasonal filings. The IRS will recall a […]
The South Dakota v. Wayfair decision last June has created a lot of angst for indirect tax professionals and the businesses they work so hard to protect from the burdens of sales and use tax filing. Six months later as we begin the new year, that angst has not gotten any lighter. Any federal legislative […]
2018 was a volatile year in indirect tax compliance for tax, finance and IT professionals worldwide. With an increase in globalization and tax gaps surpassing tens of billions in some countries, it’s not surprising that one of the biggest challenges governments are addressing is revenue collection. Like enterprises, governments are creating new, technology-driven processes to […]