The IRS has recently revised Publication 1179, “General Rules and Specifications for Substitute Forms 1096, 1098, 1099, 5498, and Certain Other Information Returns.” The document details the format and specifications for printing various tax information return forms to be sent to the IRS and recipients.
The What’s New for the revision notes the following:
- Copies 1, B, 2, C, and D of forms have been made online fileable;
- Boxes 9 and 11 on the 1042-S have been switched;
- 1097-BTC, 1098-C, 1099-C, have been made online fileable; black-and-white Copies A of these forms may be printed from the IRS website and submitted;
- On the 1099-R, a new reportable sale box added to show date of payment of reportable death benefits; instructions have been added to recipient copy; and two new distribution codes have been added; and
- 5498 has added PO code for reporting qualified plan loan offset rollovers.
The above items reflect changes to the individual forms cited. Those changes are more fully detailed in the revisions for each individual form.
Additionally, the publication also contains editorial revisions throughout.
To review Publication 1179, please follow this link.